Tuesday 16 October 2007

Week 3 Lunes

Paul attends even more meetings, which are called juntas here, a word I have never seen before without it being preceded by the word military. I stay at home with Daisy and enjoy some domestic time in the apartment.


It’s kind of wonderful travelling with only the things you absolutely need, given the amount of stuff babies typically generate. I feel we have finally got close to William Morris’ adage, only having things that are beautiful or useful – although we’re majoring on the useful here.
Of course, there are some things I’m missing, since there’s only so much you can achieve with two 23 kg luggage allowances. I haven’t bought any books yet, and Daisy currently has more of a library than I have. I have two Mexico guides and she has Baby Shapes Three and Four, as well as the literary classic ‘That’s Not My Penguin’.

I realise I am in need of literature after spending ten minutes absent mindedly rubbing the textured patch on the last page of her penguin book (“That’s my penguin, its baby is so fluffy’). I really need to get out more.

Of course, we’re already acquiring whole buckets of stuff (including, of course, a bucket) to add to the things we’ve brought with us. We’ve bought a metal kettle, a series of pans, reusable bags and a jug to put pens in. We’ve also (how British are we) bought a toaster because there is no grill on the oven.

It was nearly seven pounds and includes an inbuilt set of pincers to get the toast out. I feel it’s worth it for the ultimate comfort food.

No comments: