Sunday 21 October 2007

Week 4 Viernes

I realise my Spanish must be improving when I have a chat with my Spanish teacher about interest rates and whether Britain should privatise the post office.


He studied Economics at university, and is clearly delighted to be able to discuss things with someone who even vaguely understands what is going on. I learn the Spanish for interest rates, mortgages, deprivatisation, and a host of other things. He also explains that many people are now being offered cheap credit cards and then getting into trouble when they can’t pay them back – sounds a bit like home.

Like most Spanish teachers here, Reginaldo is fascinated by England, but has never been. He has seen a documentary that I think may have been about Siberia, but he is convinced is about the UK. As a result, he thinks that if you go out in winter in the UK you might die of a heart attack after an hour because it is so cold, and that people routinely fall in the Thames by accident.

I curb my natural desire to wind him up when he asks about Big Ben, double decker buses and other English icons. No, I don’t know Margaret Thatcher, or live in Big Ben. He’s also quite disappointed I don’t work for The Times – but goes away and does his research on the Telegraph and decides it is probably ok to work for that too.

We now have a great routine with the Spanish lessons. I do two hours in the morning and Paul looks after Daisy. Then he brings her to the school, we swap her over and I take her back with me while he has an hour doing much more complicated Spanish. It’s great to be able to say more every day.

No comments: