Tuesday 9 October 2007

Week 2 (Day 11)

Day Eleven


I attempt a typical English meal for Enrique and Mariet after Sunday’s church service. Because our oven is so slow, I can’t really do roast dinner, so I decide to do pork with apples and cider, with rice, and an apple and blackberry crumble with custard.

It’s oddly difficult to do. We buy pork in the market, which is fine (probably the best meat to buy here, as long as it’s cooked properly), but as I’ve already mentioned we have to break the law to get the cider, and we quickly learn there are two kinds of cream, one of which is way too sour to use in custard. Blackberries and apples are easy to buy, but a pot to do crumble in is hard as most people don’t use their ovens. At an earthenware stall at the back of the market we finally find something that resembles a casserole dish. I also find rosemary in the market to flavour the dish.


Mariet and Enrique are polite about my efforts (even though they shake salsa all over the main course). Mariet has never seen rosemary before, even though you can buy it here (it’s probably only used in Mayan medicine or something). They like the crumble though, including the custard, and I attempt to write down the recipe in Spanish so they can replicate it at home.

No comments: